Problem with recent PostgreSQL related press release

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy List <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problem with recent PostgreSQL related press release
Date: 2007-07-13 03:05:17
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hello,

This article:

http://www.vnunet.com/computing/news/2194087/database-ticket

and the associated press release:

http://www.enterprisedb.com/news_events/press_releases/07_11_07.do

Caused quite the storm on IRC. In response to the following prompt:

(07:52:16 PM) davidfetter: so, linuxpoet, since you've urged me so many
times in private, i'm urging you in semi-public, to start that thread :)

I post...

I would kindly ask EDB to consider how this looks overall. Everyone is
used to marketing speak but this is pretty much a blatant slap in the
face about the very product that is the core of what you and all your
venture capitalists bet the farm on.

My specific gripe would be:

Transitioning from its current open source PostgreSQL database to
EnterpriseDB Advanced Server will enable Ticketline to increase the
speed and improve the reliability of its ticketing system.

Which although I can understand the marketing departments excitement
about such a great sales (bravo, honestly), I believe it stands to
reason that the entire sentence is cow dung. A little truth in
advertising would be nice here. How about:

Transitioning from its current open source PostgreSQL database to
EnterpriseDB Advanced Server will enable Ticketline to increase the
supportability of its ticketing system.

Which has all the pizazz. I know there are others that were in channel
that were pretty taken aback as well.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/