parallel option in pg_restore

From: "Igor Neyman" <ineyman(at)perceptron(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: parallel option in pg_restore
Date: 2010-06-22 13:31:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm testing 8.4.4 (on Windows) before upgrading our app to this PG
version.

When running pg_restore with "-j 2" parallel option, I'm getting the
following error:

"pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of
order is not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)"

in the log file.

Mind you, the backup (which I'm restoring here) was done in "custom"
mode ( -F c) using pg_dump version 8.2.5.
Is this error results from version differences between pg_dump and
pg_restore?

The reason I'm using "old" backups (created with older pg_dump version)
is that I'm trying to save time during upgrade, and I have these big
backup files already created.

TIA,
Igor Neyman