pg_restore error

From: Bryan White <nicktook(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_restore error
Date: 2010-04-17 16:31:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am trying to load a data base using pg_restore. We are migrating to
a new server and I want to see if I can make the load go faster if I
load with pg_restore instead of psql.

The old server is:
CentOS upgraded to 5.4 64bit with the stock PostgreSQL 8.1.
The dump file was created with:
pg_dump --format=c --file=ec.restore ec
where ec is the name of the database. It is encoded SQL_ASCII. I
plan on converting to UTF-8 but I can't do that quite yet.

The new server is
CentOS 5.4 64 bit with PostgreSQL 8.4 installed from the YUM repo on
the PostgreSQL site.

The restore command is:
createdb -E SQL_ASCII -T template0 ec
pg_restore -dec -j2 ec.restore

I get this error:
pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of
order is not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek
required)
pg_restore: [archiver] worker process failed: exit code 1

It seems to run if I ommit the -j2 option. (Though as of this moment
is has not completed). Is there a known problem with using parallel

Bryan White