Backup from a hot standby

From: Mikko Partio <mpartio(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Backup from a hot standby
Date: 2010-03-04 06:47:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi

I'm currently testing Pg 9.0.0 alpha 4 and the hot standby feature (with
streaming replication) is working great. I tried to take a filesystem backup
from a hot standby, but I guess that is not possible since executing "SELECT
pg_start_backup('ss')" returns an error? Or can I just tar $PGDATA and copy
the xlog files generated during the backup, since the server is in constant
recovery mode? In Oracle it is possible to take backups from a data guard
standby, which is very useful since that way making the backups does not
stress the master server.

Anyway, I must say that we are very pleased to see HS and SR features, and
we hope that 9.0.0 goes to beta (and to an official release) soon!

Regards

Mikko