Re: missing chunk number 0 for toast value

From: "Scott Whitney" <swhitney(at)journyx(dot)com>
To: "'BJ Taylor'" <btaylor(at)propertysolutions(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: missing chunk number 0 for toast value
Date: 2008-09-24 19:16:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

I ran into this issue awhile ago. Here's my long internal tech note to my
dev guys on what I did. A bit modified for more genericism:

I'm in the process of migrating our internal db server, and I decided to use
the helpdesk as
my test database. It backed up fine last night. Something went horribly
wrong today, since pg_dump tells me:

> pg_dump: ERROR: missing chunk number 0 for toast value 110439697
> pg_dump: SQL command to dump the contents of table "attachments" failed:
> PQendcopy() failed.
> pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR: missing chunk number 0 for
toast
> value 110439697
> pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.attachments (id, transactionid,
> parent, messageid, subject, filename, contenttype, contentencoding,
content,
> headers, creator, created) TO stdout;

I reindexed attachments. I reindexed the db. I retoasted the index. Or
reindexed the toast. Or toasted the index. Or something:

rt3=# select reltoastrelid::regclass from pg_class where relname =
'attachments';
reltoastrelid
---------------------------
pg_toast.pg_toast_8507627
(1 row)

rt3=# reindex table pg_toast.pg_toast_8507627;
REINDEX
rt3=# \q
-bash-2.05b$ pg_dump rt3 > /tmp/rt3

pg_dump: ERROR: missing chunk number 0 for toast value 110439697
pg_dump: SQL command to dump the contents of table "attachments" failed:
PQendcopy() failed.
pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR: missing chunk number 0 for toast
value 110439697
pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.attachments (id, transactionid,
parent, messageid, subject, filename, contenttype, contentencoding, content,
headers, creator, created) TO stdout;

That didn't work. So...I figured I could find out what the bad rec was.
Doing this:

Select * from attachments limit 5000 offset 0
Select * from attachments limit 5000 offset 5000
Select * from attachments limit 5000 offset 10000
Select * from attachments limit 5000 offset 15000

quickly showed me that record 16179 was causing this issue.

So, in order to resolve, this I did this:

pg_dump -s rt3 > /tmp/rt3schema

followed by:

for each in `psql rt3 -c "\d" | awk {'print $3'} | grep -vw attachments`;do
pg_dump rt3 -t $each >> /tmp/rt3data; done

(This second one removes only the table named attachments)

Then I used pg.py to do this:

import pg
olddb=pg.connect('rt3','myolddbserver')
new=pg.connect('rt3','localhost')
first=olddb.query("""select * from attachments limit 16169""").getresult()
last=olddb.query("""select * from attachments limit 100000 offset 16170""")
for eachRec in first + last:
new.query("""insert into attachments values %r""" % (eachRec,))

*** I did have to deal with some quotification issues, but you get the
point.