Re: Restore dump into different databases/owners

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Haumer <andreas(at)xss(dot)co(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restore dump into different databases/owners
Date: 2008-01-12 18:40:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

Andreas Haumer <andreas(at)xss(dot)co(dot)at> writes:
> Tom Lane schrieb:
>> Exactly what problems did you have using "-O -U user" ?

> So, the main problem is the call to
> CREATE PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql;
> on the "mwdb" schema which contains all the tables, functions etc.

Right. As of 8.3, the default permissions arrangement will allow
database owners to create trusted procedural languages for themselves,
so this dump would work for a non-superuser (though you'd still have
to ignore the error from attempting to comment SCHEMA public --- I
suppose we ought to look into keeping pg_dump from emitting that
comment).

Otherwise, the recommended procedure is for the superuser to load
any required procedural languages when he makes the empty database.
The database owner can take it from there.