Help with function

From: Chris Hoover <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help with function
Date: 2005-08-12 17:48:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

I need some help with how to define a function. I am trying to create
a function that I pass two records into. However, I can not seem to
get the syntax correct in the definition.

Exactly what I'm doing is having a rule on one of my views call a
function and pass the new.* and old.* records to the function. the
function will then handle the inserting, updating, and deleting from
the underlying tables.

I tried to define the function as function_name(new_rec view_name,
old_rec view_name), but it abends on the call.

function_name(new_rec view_name%rowtype, old_rec view_name%rowtype)
will not compile.

Can someone please provide some guidance on how to pass the records to
my new function?

thanks,

Chris