Re: psql: FATAL: user "root" does not exist createdb:

From: Christian Fowler <spider(at)viovio(dot)com>
To: "Jeoffrey L(dot) Palacio" <jeoff(at)ibma(dot)org(dot)ph>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql: FATAL: user "root" does not exist createdb:
Date: 2004-11-16 20:17:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

execute these as the postgres user:

su - postgres

One option is to create a super-user with something like:

postgres$ createuser -d -a -P jeoff

then:

jeoff$ createdb ibmadb

then do administrative things with that user. I would advise *NOT* using
root. If this is a tightly controlled (non-shared) machine, you could make
a super user as your normal unix login (which hopefull is not root).
Ideally you'll only need root to start the postgres service.

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Jeoffrey L. Palacio wrote:

> Hi to all I'm Jeoffrey, and I'm a newbie to postgreSQL. My problem is
> that when i execute the command createdb <database name> i always get a
>
> [root(at)webdata root]# createdb ibmadb
> psql: FATAL: user "root" does not exist
> createdb: database creation failed
>
> Then I tried to create the user root by the command:
>
> createuser <username> and i always get this message also:
>
> [root(at)webdata root]# createuser
> Enter name of user to add: root
> Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n) y
> Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) n
> psql: FATAL: user "root" does not exist
> createuser: creation of user "root" failed
>

> my postgresql version is 7.3.4 and my OS is FEDORA CORE 1 x86_64 bit
> architecture.
>
> What is wrong about it? please help.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jeoffrey

[ \ /
[ >X< Christian Fowler | spider AT viovio.com
[ / \ http://www.viovio.com | http://www.tikipro.org