Re: grant execute on many functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Jean-Denis Giguere <jdenisgiguere(at)fastmail(dot)fm>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: grant execute on many functions
Date: 2004-06-30 04:52:25
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Um. Sooner or later we ought to do something about the whole
>> automatic-casting-to-and-from-text issue. Datatypes shouldn't have to
>> supply both I/O procedures and text cast procedures.

> I thought automatic (i.e. implicit) casting-to-and-from-text was a no-no
> because it could cause strange and unintended conversion to take place,
> no?

Sorry, I was imprecise. I think that the system should automatically
provide a coercion to/from text implemented on top of a datatype's I/O
procedures. I do not say that that coercion should be *applied*
implicitly --- I'd favor requiring explicit cast syntax to get it.

For datatypes that have a close enough affinity to text for implicit
coercion behavior to be reasonable, we should expect the datatype
designer to create a pg_cast entry to say so.

In my mind cleaning up this area needs to tie into rationalizing the
current mismash of some-datatypes-have-implicit-coercions-and-some-
do-not behaviors. That doubtless involves breaking some existing
applications :-( but it would surely make the overall behavior much
more predictable.