Re: pg_restore and FK constraints with large dbs

From: ow <oneway_111(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore and FK constraints with large dbs
Date: 2003-11-17 23:38:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

--- Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> wrote:
> Well, I've been trying to deal with the particular case at hand, ie, get
> your load in a more reasonable amount of time assuming that you had more
> constraints and this was going to be a particular problem for you in the
> immediate term. I've mentioned that there's likely to be future
> development on the issue in this thread already and that there was a
> recent discussion on the topic that occurred a bit late to do anything for
> 7.4. I can't change the past to suit your desires, sorry, the best I can
> do is point you towards getting a solution for the future.

Thanks, you've been very helpful and I appreciate the effort.

In case if there's no immediate solution, the solution could be something like
"yes, we understand the importance of the raised issue and we intent to
implement a fix for it in 7.5/8.0/or whatever".

Personally, I see the fix as the ability for the superuser to issue "SET
suspend_fk_checks(or whatever)=true/false" on the respective connection and
perhaps the respective pg_restore option.

Anything I can do to make this happen? (am not a C-developer but perhaps could
help with testing).

Thanks