postgresql and replication

From: Chris Miles <chris(at)psychofx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgresql and replication
Date: 2003-08-26 17:19:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi, we really want to get a reliable PostgreSQL replication
setup going, with a Master Write server and many Slave Read-Only
servers replicating off the master. This is to allow us to
scale up our low-write/high-read application over many customers.

We've done some research (ie, web searching) and we are not
convinced that PostgreSQL replication projects are production
ready (with one commercial exception). Hopefully we are wrong
however, as the MySQL built-in replication does seem very mature
and makes me look across with envy. But considering all the effort
we've put into our PG installation, we'd rather stick to PG if
possible.

I will briefly list the PG Replication projects I have come across
below. I am looking for more experienced people, who have hopefully
already implemented any of these, or the authors themselves, to
provide more details and guide us in the right direction as to
which project is the "best" to go with. I am happy to summarize
the info we put together for others looking to do the same.

eRServer
http://www.erserver.com/
Commercial, looks professional. Not free.
However, No trial or evaluation ?

PGReplication
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgreplication/projdisplay.php
Software is: Postgres-R with Spread. Free.
Looks to be still very much in development, can only consider beta ?

RServ
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/rservimp/projdisplay.php
Looks far too beta....
Free

PostgreSQL Replicator
http://pgreplicator.sourceforge.net/
“Store and forward” asynchronous data replication.
Free
Tested up to PG 7.1
Peer-to-peer (single master/slave pair) not multi-slave.

Usogres
http://usogres.good-day.net/
Very simple and not real-time replication. Free.
Just duplication and only one master/slave pair.

Regards,
Chris.

--
Chris Miles