Re: Multiple Postmasters on Beowulf cluster

From: "Robert M(dot) Meyer" <rmeyer(at)installs(dot)com>
To: Jan Hartmann <jhart(at)frw(dot)uva(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple Postmasters on Beowulf cluster
Date: 2002-07-29 13:30:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

Aside from the problems associated with making multiple Postgresql
processes access a single data store, wouldn't you be dealing with a
severe performance penalty? Since disk is typically the slowest part of
any system, I would imagine that 45 nodes, all beating on one network
file system (or a multiport filesystem for that matter) would tend to
slow things down dramatically. I would think that it would be better to
make 45 separate copies of the database and then if there are updates,
make some kind of process to pass all of the transactions to each
instantiation of the DB. Granted, the disk space would increase to 45X
the original estimate. How much updating/changing goes on in the Db?

Cheers!

Bob

--
Robert M. Meyer