Re: Database selector

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brsaweda(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Subject: Re: Database selector
Date: 2011-01-10 03:50:23
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 06.01.2011 12:23, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Le 28/12/2010 20:18, Erwin Brandstetter a écrit :
>> (...)
>> Testing v.1.12.1 (Dec 13 2010, rev: REL-1_12_2) on Windows XP Pro, SP3
>> To be sure, I downloaded the latest version and upgraded. But there have
>> been no more changes in the meantime. Connection tool still does not
>> behave as expected. I have tried with a couple of different databases an
>> users.
>>
>> On a closer inspection only the field "Uername" fails. "Database" seems
>> to be filled correctly. So, something has definitely changed, but half
>> the fix does not seem to work as expected.
>>
>> Steps to reproduce:
>> - Open query tool
>> - Select<new connetion> from the connection tool --> popup "Connect
>> to Server" appears, "Server", "Database", "User" are filled with current
>> values.
>> - Pick a new server --> new values are filled in for database and user.
>> "Database" behaves as expected: identical name as in current
>> connection if available on the new server.
>> "Username" fails, however. Although a user of the same name is
>> available, some other value is filled in. On the first try some
>> (seemingly random) username from the list of available users is picked.
>> On subsequent tries it is always the first one on the list.
> I tried on 1.12.2+ and it just works. Are you sure you have the exact
> same user? no odd spaces or invisible characters?

I tested once more with two different sets of databases. No odd or
invisible characters.
Among other: username: "postgres", database: "event"

In each set of databases I switched between two almost identical
database clusters, the destination being a copy of the source.
Results were as described above: the matching database is filled in but
the username is lost in translation.

Maybe someone else can run a test to add evidence? It's easy: all you
need is two databases of the same name (like postgres) which share a
user of the same name (like postgres) ...

Regards
Erwin