Re: Problems with pgagent Jobs

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Selber, Heiko" <heiko(dot)selber(at)siemens(dot)com>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems with pgagent Jobs
Date: 2006-06-01 11:35:07
Lists: pgadmin-support

I can't imagine how 2 versions of pgAdmin could conflict in this way.
More likely I suspect you used a different maintenance DB (template1
instead of postgres for example). The Jobs node will only be shown if
the pgAgent schema and objects are found in the maintenance DB specified
in the connection dialogue.

> 2. When I create a job pgagent doesn't seem to be triggered at all. I
> run it with -l 2 in a console, not as a daemon.
>
> It only writes its periodical debug output to the console, but nothing
> happens:
>
> DEBUG: Clearing inactive connections
> DEBUG: Connection stats: total - 1, free - 0, deleted - 0
> DEBUG: Checking for jobs to run
> DEBUG: Sleeping...
>

> I don't think I made an obvious mistake because pgagent works on a
> second machine with roughly the same configuration.

Against the same database or a different one? Also, make sure you didn't
specify a host agent in the job definition unless you know for sure what
should be in there.

> I believe a fresh install of postgresql would help, but I cannot do it
> now.

Almost certainly not required - save yourself the effort :-)

> Where can I look for clues?
>

> BTW: Where would the debug output go when pgagent runs as daemon? I
> can't find anything in or near /var/log/messages or
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_log.

Stdout.

Regards, Dave.