Re: Change: l10n patch

From: Marek Černocký <marek(at)manet(dot)cz>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Subject: Re: Change: l10n patch
Date: 2009-08-03 14:01:31
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page píše v Po 03. 08. 2009 v 10:21 +0100:
> 2009/8/1 Marek Černocký <marek(at)manet(dot)cz>:
> > Oops! I now see there is prepared function for translanted object types
> > names. I send new patch instead previous.
> >
> > Marek Černocký píše v So 01. 08. 2009 v 17:58 +0200:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I send patch. It solves translation for object type names in dialog
> >> Grand Wizard.
>
> Hi,
>
> Should there be some formatting in there to allow for languages where
> the ordering of the type name and the object name may differ from
> English?

You are right. For some languages may be better use some like:

wxString::Printf(
_("%s %s"),
(wxString)wxGetTranslation(obj->GetTypeName()),
obj->GetFullIdentifier()
)

But it solves only little part of more bigger problem which reported
here: http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/4

It has two solutions (Let's have real example "Cannot drop system %s %
s"):

--- 1. To leave it in translators

Right czech translation is "Nelze odstranit systémovou tabulku XXX"
(accusative case tabulkU). But it is substituted "Nelze odstranit
systemovou tabulka XXX" (Nominative case tabulkA).

I circumvent problem by other formulation in translation: "Nelze
odstranit systémový objekt: tabulka XXX" (= "Cannot drop system object:
%s %s").

Negative: It isn't universal solution. It's differnt laguage by
language.

--- 2. To split it to individual objekts

"Cannot drop system table %s"
"Cannot drop system function %s"
"Cannot drop system sequence %s"

Negative: There is much combinations which would increase quantities of
code.

Marek