April Meeting next week!

From: gabrielle <gorthx(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgresql PDX_Users <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: April Meeting next week!
Date: 2009-04-10 15:22:58
Lists: pdxpug

April meeting! Tales from the Crater with Chris May

PDXPUG
Where: FreeGeek, 1731 SE 10th
When: 16 April 2009, 7pm
What: Tales from the Crater: Or how PostgreSQL can solve your MySQL woes

Chris will present real-life experiences maintaining a large
transaction-based MySQL database and efforts to port the data to
PostgreSQL. He'll discuss helpful features in both database solutions
and workarounds for those that are missing. Who knows - we may even
find some areas PostgreSQL can improve to be more competitive!

As always, beer afterwards at the Lucky Lab, 3 blocks away.

Who: Chris May!
I am a database expert for NVIDIA, working in Beaverton. I consult
with other programmers to achieve better performance and reliability
for internal database-driven tools. I have worked extensively with MS
SQL over the last 14 years and to a lesser extent with MySQL and
PostgreSQL. I currently maintain a mix of databases using all three
solutions. I speak three languages fluently, which has actually
helped my ability to learn programming languages (It's all just
vocabulary and syntax, after all). It also adds depth to my store of
swear words when I debug particularly annoying code.

Chris's haiku bio:
Cali transplant true
lives the life of a true geek
make my SQL sing