Re: documentation update for doc/src/sgml/func.sgml

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: documentation update for doc/src/sgml/func.sgml
Date: 2014-08-21 09:53:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> attached is a small patch which updates doc/src/sgml/func.sgml. The change
> explains that functions like round() and others might behave different
> depending on your operating system (because of rint(3)) and that this is
> according to an IEEE standard. It also points out that #.5 is not always
> rounded up, as expected from a mathematical point of view.

Applied on head & read. I'm not a native English speaker, but the English
looked right to me.

Comments:

I'm not sure that the "note that" on the third line is useful.

I do not understand why the last sentence in the first paragraph about
bitwise ops is put there with rounding issues, which seem unrelated. It
seems to me that it belongs to the second paragraph which is about bitwise
operators.

The wikipedia link can be simplified to a much cleaner:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_floating_point#Rounding_rules

Also, I submitted docs with relevant wikipedia links which was stripped of
these before committing. I'm wondering whether there is a general policy
not to put external links from within the text in the documentation. There
are very few of them, most in "acronym.sgml".

I would suggest to put relevant tags around functions and types, like:
"<function>round()</>" and "<type>NUMERIC</>".

--
Fabien.