Re: INSERT...ON DUPLICATE KEY LOCK FOR UPDATE

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: INSERT...ON DUPLICATE KEY LOCK FOR UPDATE
Date: 2013-09-11 05:25:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 10:21 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> This necessitated inventing entirely new LWLock semantics around
> "weakening" (from exclusive to shared) and "strengthening" (from
> shared to exclusive) of locks already held. Of course, as you'd
> expect, there are some tricky race hazards surrounding these new
> functions that clients need to be mindful of. These have been
> documented within lwlock.c.

I've since found that I can fairly reliably get this to deadlock at
high client counts (say, 95, which will do it on my 4 core laptop with
a little patience). To get this to happen, I used pgbench with a
single INSERT...ON DUPLICATE KEY IGNORE transaction script. The more
varied workload that I tested this most recent revision (v2) with the
most, with a transaction consisting on a mixture of different
statements (UPDATEs, DELETEs, INSERT...ON DUPLICATE KEY LOCK FOR
UPDATE) did not show the problem.

What I've been doing to recreate this is pgbench runs in an infinite
loop from a bash script, with a new table created for each iteration.
Each iteration has 95 clients "speculatively insert" a total of 1500
possible tuples for 15 seconds. After this period, the table has
exactly 1500 tuples, with primary key values 1 - 1500. Usually, after
about 5 - 20 minutes, deadlock occurs.

This was never a problem with the exclusive lock coding (v1),
unsurprisingly - after all, as far as buffer locks are concerned, it
did much the same thing as the existing code.

I've made some adjustments to LWLockWeaken, LWLockStrengthen and
LWLockRelease that made the deadlocks go away. Or at least, no
deadlocks or other problems manifested themselves using the same test
case for over two hours. Attached revision includes these changes, as
well as a few minor comment tweaks here and there.

I am working on an analysis of the broader deadlock hazards - the
implications of simultaneously holding multiple shared buffer locks
(that is, one for every unique index btree leaf page participating in
value locking) for the duration of a each heap tuple insertion (each
heap_insert() call). I'm particularly looking for unexpected ways in
which this locking could interact with other parts of the code that
also acquire buffer locks, for example vacuumlazy.c. I'll also try and
estimate how much of a maintainability burden unexpected locking
interactions with these other subsystems might be.

In case it isn't obvious, the deadlocking issue addressed by this
revision is not inherent to my design or anything like that - the bugs
fixed by this revision are entirely confined to lwlock.c.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment Content-Type Size
insert_on_dup.v3.2013_09_10.patch.gz application/x-gzip 33.5 KB