Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization)

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization)
Date: 2014-09-15 23:21:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> OK, I'll draft a patch for that today, including similar alterations
> to varstr_cmp() for the benefit of Windows and so on.

I attach a much simpler patch, that only adds an opportunistic
"memcmp() == 0" before a possible strcoll(). Both
bttextfastcmp_locale() and varstr_cmp() have the optimization added,
since there is no point in leaving anyone out for this part.

When this is committed, and I hear back from you on the question of
what to do about having an independent sortsupport state for
abbreviated tie-breakers (and possibly other issues of concern), I'll
produce a rebased patch with a single commit.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment Content-Type Size
opportunistic-memcmp-text.2014_09_15.patch text/x-patch 2.6 KB