Re: Re: proposal: ignore null fields in not relation type composite type based constructors

From: Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Re: proposal: ignore null fields in not relation type composite type based constructors
Date: 2014-08-22 10:21:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Pavel,

You have said that XMLFOREST has something which ignores nulls, what's that?
Will you please provide an example ?

I am NOT sure, but here you are trying to omit entire field from the output
when its value is NULL. But that will add an extra efforts at other end
which is using output of this. That application need to know all fields and
then need to replace NULL values for missing fields. However we have an
optional argument for ignoring nulls and thus we are safe. Application will
use as per its choice.

Well, apart from that, tried reviewing the patch. Patch was applied but make
failed with following error.

make[3]: Entering directory `/home/jeevan/pg_master/src/backend/catalog'
cd ../../../src/include/catalog && '/usr/bin/perl' ./duplicate_oids
3255
make[3]: *** [postgres.bki] Error 1

Please run unused_oids script to find unused oid.

However, I had a quick look over code changes. At first glance it looks
good. But still need to check on SQL level and then code walk-through.

Waiting for updated patch.

Thanks

--
Jeevan B Chalke
Principal Software Engineer, Product Development