Re: Rapidly finding maximal rows

From: Dave Crooke <dcrooke(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: James Cranch <jdc41(at)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rapidly finding maximal rows
Date: 2011-10-12 01:05:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi James

I'm guessing the problem is that the combination of using a view and the way
the view is defined with an in-line temporary table is too complex for the
planner to introspect into, transform and figure out the equivalent direct
query, and so it's creating that entire temporary table every time you
evaluate the select.

Our app has some similar queries (get me the most recent row from a data
logging table) and these work fine with a simple self-join, like this
example (irrelevant columns omitted for discussion)

select t.entity, t.time_stamp, t.data from log_table t
where t.entity=cast('21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D' as uuid)
and t.time_stamp=
(select max(time_stamp)
from log_table u
where t.entity=u.entity)

given a schema with the obvious indexes ...

create table log_table
(entity UUID,
time_stamp TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE,
data TEXT);

create index log_table_index on log_table (entity, time_stamp);

.. and the plan for the dependent sub-query does the obvious reverse index
scan as you'd expect / want.

If you still want / need to have the view, I suspect that getting rid of the
temp table definition will fix it ... my effort is below, alternatively you
might be able to take your first example and pull out best_scores and define
it as a view alos,

CREATE VIEW best_in_school_method3 AS
SELECT competition_name, academic_year_beginning, centre_number, entry_id,
total_score, (true) AS best_in_school FROM challenge_entries ce1
WHERE total_score =
(SELECT MAX(total_score) FROM challenge_entries ce2
WHERE ce1.competition_name=ce2.competition_name
AND ce1.academic_year_beginning=ce2.academic_year_beginning
AND ce1.centre_number=ce2.centre_number
)

If you don't actually need to have the view for other purposes, and just
want to solve the original problem (listing certificates to be issued), you
can do it as a direct query, e.g.

SELECT competition_name, academic_year_beginning, centre_number, entry_id,
total_score, (true) AS best_in_school FROM challenge_entries ce1
WHERE total_score =
(SELECT MAX(total_score) FROM challenge_entries ce2
WHERE ce1.competition_name=ce2.competition_name
AND ce1.academic_year_beginning=ce2.academic_year_beginning
AND ce1.centre_number=ce2.centre_number
)
AND competition_name = 'X'
AND academic_year_beginning = 2010

PostgreSQL also has a proprietary extension SELECT DISTINCT ON which has a
much nicer syntax, but unlike the above it will only show one (arbitrarily
selected) pupil per school in the event of a tie, which is probably not what
you want :-)

Looking at the schema, the constraint one_challenge_per_year is redundant
with the primary key.

Cheers
Dave

P.S. Small world ... did my undergrad there, back when @cam.ac.uk email went
to an IBM 3084 mainframe and the user ids typically ended in 10 :-)