Re: stats for network traffic WIP

From: Nigel Heron <nheron(at)querymetrics(dot)com>
To: Mike Blackwell <mike(dot)blackwell(at)rrd(dot)com>, Atri Sharma <atri(dot)jiit(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: stats for network traffic WIP
Date: 2013-10-24 03:48:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Nigel Heron <nheron(at)querymetrics(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi, thanks, I'm still actively working on this patch. I've gotten the
> traffic counters working when using SSL enabled clients (includes the
> ssl overhead now) but I still have the walsender transfers under SSL
> to work on.
> I'll post an updated patch when i have it figured out.
> Since the patch changes some views in pg_catalog, a regression test
> fails .. i'm not sure what to do next. Change the regression test in
> the patch, or wait until the review phase?

here's v2 of the patch including the regression test update.
I omitted socket counters for walreceivers, i couldn't get them
working under SSL. Since they are using the front end libpq libs i
would have to duplicate alot of the code in the backend to be able to
instrument them under SSL (add openssl BIO custom send/recv like the
backend has), not sure it's worth it.. We can get the data from the
master's pg_stat_replication view anyways. I'm open to suggestions.

So, for now, the counters only track sockets created from an inbound
(client to server) connection.

-nigel.

Attachment Content-Type Size
netstats-v2.patch.gz application/x-gzip 25.1 KB