Re: postgresql.auto.conf and reload

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql.auto.conf and reload
Date: 2014-08-08 06:11:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 1:19 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
>> wrote:

>> > I think that will workout and for that I think we might need to add
>> > few checks during ProcessConfigFile. Do you want to address it
>> > during parsing of config file or during setting of values?
>>
>> I prefer "during paring". The attached patch does that. In this patch,
>> the first call of ProcessConfigFile() picks up only data_directory. One
>> concern of this patch is that the logic is a bit ugly.
>
> I think handling 'data_directory' in ParseConfigFp() looks bit out of
> place as this API is used to parse other config files as well like
> recovery.conf. I agree that for all other paths DataDir might be
> already set due to which this new path will never be executed, still
> from code maintenance point of view it would have been better if we
> can find a way to handle it in a place where we are processing
> the server's main config file (postgresql.conf).

Yep, right. ParseConfigFp() is not good place to pick up data_directory.
What about the attached patch which makes ProcessConfigFile() instead of
ParseConfigFp() pick up data_directory just after the configuration file is
parsed?

Fujii Masao

Attachment Content-Type Size
ignore-unused-guc-at-startup_v2.patch text/x-patch 2.2 KB