Re: the number of pending entries in GIN index with FASTUPDATE=on

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the number of pending entries in GIN index with FASTUPDATE=on
Date: 2012-11-22 19:14:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
<horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> Agreed. Attached patch introduces the pgstatginindex() which now reports
>> GIN version number, number of pages in the pending list and number of
>> tuples in the pending list, as information about a GIN index.
>
> It seems fine on the whole, and I have some suggestions.

Thanks for the review!

> 1. This patch applies current git head cleanly, but installation
> ends up with failure because of the lack of
> pgstattuple--1.0--1.1.sql which added in Makefile.

Added pgstattuple--1.0--1.1.sql.

> 2. I feel somewhat uneasy with size for palloc's (it's too long),
> and BuildTupleFromCString used instead of heap_from_tuple.. But
> it would lead additional modification for existent simillars.
>
> You can leave that if you prefer to keep this patch smaller,
> but it looks to me more preferable to construct the result
> tuple not via c-strings in some aspects. (*1)

OK. I changed the code as you suggested.

Updated version of the patch attached.

> 3. pgstatginidex shows only version, pending_pages, and
> pendingtuples. Why don't you show the other properties such as
> entry pages, data pages, entries, and total pages as
> pgstatindex does?

I didn't expose those because they are accurate as of last VACUUM.
But if you think they are useful, I don't object to expose them.

Fujii Masao

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgstatginindex_v2.patch application/octet-stream 13.2 KB