Re: Patch for fail-back without fresh backup

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Samrat Revagade <revagade(dot)samrat(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Sawada Masahiko <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch for fail-back without fresh backup
Date: 2013-09-17 12:52:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Samrat Revagade
<revagade(dot)samrat(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> > syncrep.c: In function ‘SyncRepReleaseWaiters’:
>> > syncrep.c:421:6: warning: variable ‘numdataflush’ set but not used
>> > [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
>> >

>> Sorry I forgot fix it.
>>
>> I have attached the patch which I modified.
>>

> Attached patch combines documentation patch and source-code patch.

I set up synchronous replication with synchronous_transfer = all, and then I ran
pgbench -i and executed CHECKPOINT in the master. After that, when I executed
CHECKPOINT in the standby, it got stuck infinitely. I guess this was cased by
synchronous_transfer feature.

How does synchronous_transfer work with cascade replication? If it's set to all
in the "sender-side" standby, it can resolve the data page inconsistency between
two standbys?

Fujii Masao