Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Date: 2014-12-18 08:27:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Michael Paquier

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 11:33 PM, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I had a look at code. I have few minor points,
>
> Thanks!
>
>> + bkpb.fork_flags |= BKPBLOCK_HAS_IMAGE;
>> +
>> + if (is_compressed)
>> {
>> - rdt_datas_last->data = page;
>> - rdt_datas_last->len = BLCKSZ;
>> + /* compressed block information */
>> + bimg.length = compress_len;
>> + bimg.extra_data = hole_offset;
>> + bimg.extra_data |= XLR_BLCK_COMPRESSED_MASK;
>>
>> For consistency with the existing code , how about renaming the macro
>> XLR_BLCK_COMPRESSED_MASK as BKPBLOCK_HAS_COMPRESSED_IMAGE on the lines of
>> BKPBLOCK_HAS_IMAGE.
>
> OK, why not...
>

>> + blk->hole_offset = extra_data & ~XLR_BLCK_COMPRESSED_MASK;
>> Here , I think that having the mask as BKPBLOCK_HOLE_OFFSET_MASK will be
>> more indicative of the fact that lower 15 bits of extra_data field comprises
>> of hole_offset value. This suggestion is also just to achieve consistency
>> with the existing BKPBLOCK_FORK_MASK for fork_flags field.
>
> Yeah that seems clearer, let's define it as ~XLR_BLCK_COMPRESSED_MASK
> though.
>
>> And comment typo
>> + * First try to compress block, filling in the page hole with
>> zeros
>> + * to improve the compression of the whole. If the block is
>> considered
>> + * as incompressible, complete the block header information as
>> if
>> + * nothing happened.
>>
>> As hole is no longer being compressed, this needs to be changed.
>
> Fixed. As well as an additional comment block down.
>
> A couple of things noticed on the fly:
> - Fixed pg_xlogdump being not completely correct to report the FPW
> information
> - A couple of typos and malformed sentences fixed
> - Added an assertion to check that the hole offset value does not the bit
> used for compression status
> - Reworked docs, mentioning as well that wal_compression is off by default.
> - Removed stuff in pg_controldata and XLOG_PARAMETER_CHANGE (mentioned by
> Fujii-san)

Thanks!

+ else
+ memcpy(compression_scratch, page, page_len);

I don't think the block image needs to be copied to scratch buffer here.
We can try to compress the "page" directly.

+#include "utils/pg_lzcompress.h"
#include "utils/memutils.h"

pg_lzcompress.h should be after meutils.h.

+/* Scratch buffer used to store block image to-be-compressed */
+static char compression_scratch[PGLZ_MAX_BLCKSZ];

Isn't it better to allocate the memory for compression_scratch in
InitXLogInsert()
like hdr_scratch?

+ uncompressed_page = (char *) palloc(PGLZ_RAW_SIZE(header));

Why don't we allocate the buffer for uncompressed page only once and
keep reusing it like XLogReaderState->readBuf? The size of uncompressed
page is at most BLCKSZ, so we can allocate the memory for it even before
knowing the real size of each block image.

- printf(" (FPW); hole: offset: %u, length: %u\n",
- record->blocks[block_id].hole_offset,
- record->blocks[block_id].hole_length);
+ if (record->blocks[block_id].is_compressed)
+ printf(" (FPW); hole offset: %u, compressed length %u\n",
+ record->blocks[block_id].hole_offset,
+ record->blocks[block_id].bkp_len);
+ else
+ printf(" (FPW); hole offset: %u, length: %u\n",
+ record->blocks[block_id].hole_offset,
+ record->blocks[block_id].bkp_len);

We need to consider what info about FPW we want pg_xlogdump to report.
I'd like to calculate how much bytes FPW was compressed, from the report
of pg_xlogdump. So I'd like to see also the both length of uncompressed FPW
and that of compressed one in the report.

In pg_config.h, the comment of BLCKSZ needs to be updated? Because
the maximum size of BLCKSZ can be affected by not only itemid but also
XLogRecordBlockImageHeader.

bool has_image;
+ bool is_compressed;

Doesn't ResetDecoder need to reset is_compressed?

+#wal_compression = off # enable compression of full-page writes

Currently wal_compression compresses only FPW, so isn't it better to place
it after full_page_writes in postgresql.conf.sample?

+ uint16 extra_data; /* used to store offset of bytes in
"hole", with
+ * last free bit used to check if block is
+ * compressed */

At least to me, defining something like the following seems more easy to
read.

uint16 hole_offset:15,
is_compressed:1

Fujii Masao