Re: enhanced error fields

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: enhanced error fields
Date: 2012-12-28 11:44:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Peter

I rechecked your version eelog4 and I am thinking so it is ok. From my
view it can be enough for application developer and I am not against
to commit this (or little bit reduced version) as first step.

As plpgsql developer I really miss a fields "routine_name,
routine_schema and trigger_name". These fields can be simply
implemented without any impact on performance. Because routine_name
and routine_schema is not unique in postgres, I propose third field
"routine_oid". My patch eelog5 is based on your eelog4 with enhancing
for these mentioned fields - 5KB more - but only PL/pgSQL is supported
now. I would to find a acceptable design now.

Second - I don't see any value for forwarding these new fields
(column_name, table_name, constraint_name, schema_name, routine_name,
routine_schema, routine_id, trigger_name) to log or to csvlog and I
propose don't push it to log. We can drop logging in next iteration if
you agree.

What do you thinking about new version?

Regards

Pavel

2012/12/10 Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>:
> So, I took a look at this, and made some more changes.
>
> I have a hard time seeing the utility of some fields that were in this
> patch, and so they have been removed from this revision.
>
> Consider, for example:
>
> + constraint_table text,
> + constraint_schema text,
>
> While constraint_name remains, I find it really hard to believe that
> applications need a perfectly unambiguous idea of what constraint
> they're dealing with. If applications have a constraint that has a
> different domain-specific meaning depending on what schema it is in,
> while a table in one schema uses that constraint in another, well,
> that's a fairly awful design. Is it something that we really need to
> care about? You mentioned the SQL standard, but as far as I know the
> SQL standard has nothing to say about these fields within something
> like errdata - their names are lifted from information_schema, but
> being unambiguous is hardly so critical here. We want to identify an
> object for the purposes of displaying an error message only. Caring
> deeply about ambiguity seems wrong-headed to me in this context.
>
> + routine_name text,
> + trigger_name text,
> + trigger_table text,
> + trigger_schema text,
>
> The whole point of an exception (which ereport() is very similar to)
> is to decouple errors from error handling as much as possible - any
> application that magically takes a different course of action based on
> where that error occurred as reported by the error itself (and not the
> location of where handling the error occurs) seems kind of
> wrong-headed to me. Sure, a backtrace may be supplied, but that's only
> for diagnostic purposes, and a human can just as easily get that
> information already. If you can present an example of this information
> actually being present in a way that is amenable to that, either in
> any other RDBMS or any major programming language or framework, I
> might reconsider.
>
> This just leaves:
>
> + column_name text,
> + table_name text,
> + constraint_name text,
> + schema_name text,
>
> This seems like enough information for any reasonable use of this
> infrastructure, and I highly doubt anyone would avail of the other
> fields if they remained. I guess an application might have done
> something with "constraint_table", as with foreign keys for example,
> but I just can't see that being used when constraint_name can be used.
>
> Removing these fields has also allowed me to remove the "avoid setting
> field at lower point in the callstack" logic, which was itself kind of
> ugly. Since fields like routine_name only set themselves at the top of
> the callstack, the potential for astonishing outcomes was pretty high
> - what if you expect one routine_name, but then that routine follows a
> slightly different code-path one day and you get another function
> [...]

Attachment Content-Type Size
eelog5.patch application/octet-stream 48.4 KB