Re: PL/pgSQL return value in after triggers

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL return value in after triggers
Date: 2012-01-23 21:48:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Peter

I checked code, and I don't think so this is good.

A design of optional NULL is going to inconsistent syntax.

RETURN (OLD, NEW, NULL, /* nothing */) is not consistent

But my main argument is not intuitive behave of BEFORE triggers after
this change.

When somebody write BEFORE trigger function like:

BEGIN
RAISE NOTICE '%', NEW.x;
RETURN;
END;

then don't expect so all rows will be lost.

Preferred default return value for BEFORE INSERT UPDATE trigger should
be NEW, and for DELETE trigger should be OLD - not NULL.

And because we cannot to distinct between BEFORE and AFTER trigger in
parser, I propose don't change current behave. Current behave is not
too friendly - but is consistent with simple rules.

Regards

Pavel