Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #7873: pg_restore --clean tries to drop tables that don't exist

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #7873: pg_restore --clean tries to drop tables that don't exist
Date: 2013-12-07 21:34:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Hello

2013/12/5 Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>

> On 5 December 2013 10:06, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >> I think #1175 is close to being ready for commit. Pavel, will you
> >> produce an updated patch based on our last discussion? I'll set this
> >> patch to waiting on author.
> >

> > I expected so your version was a final. I have no problem to do other
> > enhancing (by me) , but I don't fully understand to your last proposal.
> Can
> > you specify it more, please?
> >

> Well I was basically proposing that does_not_exist_skipping() be
> enhanced to report on non-existent types that form part of the object
> specification. I think this would affect the CAST, FUNCTION, AGGREGATE
> and OPERATOR cases, but should be a fairly trivial extension to the
> code that you've already added.

ok, updated patch is in attachment

> It should be possible to make the notice text from DROP...IF EXISTS
> consistent with the error text from a plain DROP. For example consider
> cases like func_name(no_such_schema.typename) and
> func_name(existing_schema.no_such_type).

yes, it is possible, but I wouldn't enhance a scope of this patch, if it is
possible, please. I would to finish a --if-exist option for pg_dump a
pg_restore before (in this release cycle).

We can continue in cleaning DROP obj messages in next release, or maybe in
last commitfest - this functionality is not critical and is not complex.

Regards

Pavel

> Regards,
> Dean

Attachment Content-Type Size
drop-if-exists-consistency-v3.patch text/x-patch 40.6 KB