proposal (9.5) : psql unicode border line styles

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: proposal (9.5) : psql unicode border line styles
Date: 2014-03-07 18:24:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

I am returning back to this topic. Last time I proposed styles:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFj8pRCLgoKtrYjPbToncpgyfTRcZ-ZgfOwdc1jquLB+eDe0Tw@mail.gmail.com

http://postgres.cz/wiki/Pretty_borders_in_psql

This experiment fails, but there are some interesting tips in discuss.

So I propose little bit different proposal - choose one predefined style
for any table lines elements. These styles are active only when "linestyle"
is unicode.

So possible line elements are:

* border,
* header_separator,
* row_separator,
* column_separator,

Possible styles (for each element)

* none,
* single,
* double,
* thick,

It should to have enough variability to define all styles proposed early. I
hope, so this proposal is secure and simple for usage. Styles should be
persistently saved in .psqlrc file - and some examples can be in
documentation.

Usage:

\pset linestyle_border double
\pset linestyle_header_separator single