Re: Time-Delayed Standbys

From: Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: KONDO Mitsumasa <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Time-Delayed Standbys
Date: 2013-11-29 20:34:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 5:49 AM, KONDO Mitsumasa <
kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> Hi Royes,
>
> I'm sorry for my late review...

No problem...

> I feel potential of your patch in PG replication function, and it might
be something useful for all people. I check your patch and have some
comment for improvement. I haven't executed detail of unexpected sutuation
yet. But I think that under following problem2 is important functionality
problem. So I ask you to solve the problem in first.

> * Regress test
> No problem.
>
> * Problem1
> Your patch does not code recovery.conf.sample about recovery_time_delay.
> Please add it.

Fixed.

> * Problem2
> When I set time-delayed standby and start standby server, I cannot access
stanby server by psql. It is because PG is in first starting recovery which
cannot access by psql. I think that time-delayed standby is only delayed
recovery position, it must not affect other functionality.

> I didn't test recoevery in master server with recovery_time_delay. If you
have detail test result of these cases, please send me.

Well, I could not reproduce the problem that you described.

I run the following test:

1) Clusters
- build master
- build slave and attach to the master using SR and config
recovery_time_delay to 1min.

2) Stop de Slave

3) Run some transactions on the master using pgbench to generate a lot of
archives

4) Start the slave and connect to it using psql and in another session I
can see all archive recovery log

> My first easy review of your patch is that all.

Thanks.

Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL
>> Timbira: http://www.timbira.com.br
>> Blog sobre TI: http://fabriziomello.blogspot.com
>> Perfil Linkedin: http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fabriziomello

Attachment Content-Type Size
time-delayed-standby-v2.patch text/x-diff 7.2 KB