Re: WIP patch (v2) for updatable security barrier views

From: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP patch (v2) for updatable security barrier views
Date: 2014-01-31 09:09:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 30 January 2014 05:36, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 01/29/2014 08:29 PM, Dean Rasheed wrote:

>>> This is the most recent patch I see, and the one I've been working on
>>> top of.
>>>
>>> Are there any known tests that this patch fails?
>>>

>> None that I've been able to come up with.
>
> I've found an issue. I'm not sure if it can be triggered from SQL, but
> it affects in-code users who add their own securityQuals.

It's difficult to fix this kind of issue without a reproducible test
case, but...

> expand_security_quals fails to update any rowMarks that may point to a
> relation being expanded. If the relation isn't the target relation, this
> causes a rowmark to refer to a RTE with no relid, and thus failure in
> the executor.
>
> Relative patch against updatable s.b. views attached (for easier
> reading), along with a new revision of updatable s.b. views that
> incorporates the patch.

I don't like this fix --- you appear to be adding another RTE to the
rangetable (one not in the FROM list) and applying the rowmarks to it,
which seems wrong because you're not locking the right set of rows.
This is reflected in the change to the regression test output where,
in one of the tests, the ctids for the table to update are no longer
coming from the same table. I think a better approach is to push down
the rowmark into the subquery so that any locking required applies to
the pushed down RTE --- see the attached patch.

This is an alternative (and more general) fix to the problem I found
upthread (http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEZATCVAqJV5WTjLmyObP21n+CzhbEx2AOzH4e6qmTcueVDjdQ@mail.gmail.com)
with rules on the base table, but hopefully it will solve the issue
you're seeing too.

It doesn't change any of the existing regression test output, but
neither does it add any new tests, since I can't see a way to provoke
your issue in isolation using SQL without first running into the
pre-existing bug with rules that turn DML into SELECT ... FOR UPDATE.

Anyway, please test if this works with your RLS code.

Regards,
Dean

Attachment Content-Type Size
updatable-sb-views.patch text/x-diff 62.7 KB