Re: psql sets up cancel handler very early

From: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql sets up cancel handler very early
Date: 2013-09-18 11:45:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14 May 2013 16:35, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> Sometimes, the psql startup hangs when it cannot resolve or connect to a
> host. Intuitively, I would like to press Ctrl+C and correct the
> connection string or investigate. But that doesn't work because Ctrl+C
> is already bound to the query cancel handler by that time.
>
> It seems to me that there is no point in setting up the cancel handler
> before the database connection is established. Example patch attached.
> Comments?

That makes sense to me, and the patch appears to work as advertised.

The objections to the previous patch were that it did nothing in the
\c case, or if the server becomes unreachable mid-session. Those feel
like much less common cases, but maybe they're still worth thinking
about. However, IMO the solution to those issues is likely to be a
significantly different (and larger) patch.

Also, even if those issues do get addressed one day, the change in
this patch still seems like the right thing to do on initial startup,
which IME is the most common case, so +1 for this patch.

I'm marking it ready for committer.

Regards,
Dean