Custom Scan APIs (Re: Custom Plan node)

From: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Custom Scan APIs (Re: Custom Plan node)
Date: 2013-11-06 12:13:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The attached patches provide a feature to implement custom scan node
that allows extension to replace a part of plan tree with its own code
instead of the built-in logic.
In addition to the previous proposition, it enables us to integrate custom
scan as a part of candidate paths to be chosen by optimizer.
Here is two patches. The first one (pgsql-v9.4-custom-scan-apis) offers
a set of API stuff and a simple demonstration module that implement
regular table scan using inequality operator on ctid system column.
The second one (pgsql-v9.4-custom-scan-remote-join) enhances
postgres_fdw to support remote join capability.

Below is an example to show how does custom-scan work.

We usually run sequential scan even if clause has inequality operator
that references ctid system column.

postgres=# EXPLAIN SELECT ctid,* FROM t1 WHERE ctid > '(10,0)'::tid;
QUERY PLAN
Seq Scan on t1 (cost=0.00..209.00 rows=3333 width=43)
Filter: (ctid > '(10,0)'::tid)
(2 rows)

An extension that performs as custom-scan provider suggests
an alternative path, and its cost was less than sequential scan,
thus optimizer choose it.

postgres=# LOAD 'ctidscan';
LOAD
postgres=# EXPLAIN SELECT ctid,* FROM t1 WHERE ctid > '(10,0)'::tid;
QUERY PLAN
Custom Scan (ctidscan) on t1 (cost=0.00..100.00 rows=3333 width=43)
Filter: (ctid > '(10,0)'::tid)
(2 rows)

Of course, more cost effective plan will win if exists.

postgres=# EXPLAIN SELECT ctid,* FROM t1 WHERE ctid > '(10,0)'::tid AND a = 200;
QUERY PLAN
Index Scan using t1_pkey on t1 (cost=0.29..8.30 rows=1 width=43)
Index Cond: (a = 200)
Filter: (ctid > '(10,0)'::tid)
(3 rows)

One other worthwhile example is remote-join enhancement on the
postgres_fdw as follows. Both of ft1 and ft2 are foreign table being
managed by same foreign server.

postgres=# EXPLAIN (verbose) SELECT * FROM ft1 JOIN ft2 ON a = x
WHERE f_leak(b) AND y
like '%aaa%';
QUERY PLAN
Custom Scan (postgres-fdw) (cost=100.00..100.01 rows=0 width=72)
Output: a, b, x, y
Filter: f_leak(b)
Remote SQL: SELECT r1.a, r1.b, r2.x, r2.y FROM (public.ft1 r1 JOIN
public.ft2 r2 ON ((r1.a = r2.x))) WHERE ((r2.y ~~ '%aaa%'::text))
(4 rows)

---------------------------
How does it works
---------------------------
This patch adds two hooks (for base and join relations) around allpaths.c
and joinpaths.c. It allows extensions to add alternative paths to handle
scanning on the base relation or join of two relations.

Its callback routine can add CustomPath using add_path() to inform
optimizer this alternative scan path. Every custom-scan provider is
identified by its name being registered preliminary using the following
function.

void register_custom_provider(const CustomProvider *provider);

CustomProvider is a set of name string and function pointers of callbacks.

Once CustomPath got chosen, create_scan_plan() construct a custom-
scan plan and calls back extension to initialize the node.
Rest of portions are similar to foreign scan, however, some of detailed
portions are different. For example, foreign scan is assumed to return
a tuple being formed according to table definition. On the other hand,
custom-scan does not have such assumption, so extension needs to
set tuple-descriptor on the scan tuple slot of ScanState structure by
itself.

In case of join, custom-scan performs as like a regular scan but it
returns tuples being already joined on underlying relations.
The patched postgres_fdw utilizes a hook at joinpaths.c to run
remote join.

------------
Issues
------------
I'm not 100% certain whether arguments of add_join_path_hook is
reasonable. I guess the first 7 arguments are minimum necessity.
The mergeclause_list and semifactors might be useful if someone
tries to implement its own mergejoin or semijoin. Also, I'm not
good at usage of path parameterization, but the last two arguments
are related to. Where is the best code to learn about its usage?

+/* Hook for plugins to add custom join path, in addition to default ones */
+typedef void (*add_join_path_hook_type)(PlannerInfo *root,
+ RelOptInfo *joinrel,
+ RelOptInfo *outerrel,
+ RelOptInfo *innerrel,
+ JoinType jointype,
+ SpecialJoinInfo *sjinfo,
+ List *restrictlist,
+ List *mergeclause_list,
+ SemiAntiJoinFactors *semifactors,
+ Relids param_source_rels,
+ Relids extra_lateral_rels);
+extern PGDLLIMPORT add_join_path_hook_type add_join_path_hook;

When we replace a join by a custom scan, where is the best target
for Var node that referenced relations under the join?
Usually, Var->varno is given as rtindex of tables being joined, then,
it shall be replaced to OUTER_VAR or INNER_VAR at set_join_references().
It eventually determines the slot to be fetched on ExecEvalScalarVar().
On the other hand, we want Var-node to reference scan-tuple-slot
neither outer-slot nor inner-slot, if we replaced a join.
I tried to add a new CUSTOM_VAR that references scan-tuple-slot.
Probably, it is a straightforward way to run remote join as like a scan,
but I'm not certain whether it is the best way.

I was concerned about FDW callback of postgres_fdw is designed to
take ForeignState argument. Because of this, remote join code did
not available to call these routines, even though most of custom-join
portions are similar.
So, I'd like to rework postgres_fdw first to put a common routine that
can be called from FDW portion and remote join portions.
However, I thought it makes reviewing hard due to the large scale of
changeset. So, I'd like to have a code reworking first.

----------------
Jobs to do
----------------
* SGML documentation like fdwhandler.sgml is still under construction.
* Probably, a wikipage may help people to understand it well.
* Postgres_fdw needs reworking to share common code for both of
FDW and remote join portions.

Thanks,

2013/10/5 Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>:
> 2013/10/3 Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>:
>> Well, there were a lot of problems with your demonstration, which have
>> already been pointed out upthread. I'm skeptical about the idea of
>> simply replacing planner nodes wholesale, and Tom is outright opposed.
>> I think you'll do better to focus on a narrower case - I'd suggest
>> custom scan nodes - and leave the rest as a project for another time.
>>
> Thanks, it makes me clear what we should target on v9.4 development.
> Towards the next commitfest, I'm planning to develop the following
> features:
> * CustomScan node that can run custom code instead of built-in
> scan nodes.
> * Join-pushdown of postgres_fdw using the hook to be located on
> the add_paths_to_joinrel(), for demonstration purpose.
> * Something new way to scan a relation; probably, your suggested
> ctid scan with less or bigger qualifier is a good example, also for
> demonstration purpose.
>
> Probably, above set of jobs will be the first chunk of this feature.
> Then, let's do other stuff like Append, Sort, Aggregate and so on
> later. It seems to me a reasonable strategy.

pgsql-v9.4-custom-scan-remote-join.v1.patch application/octet-stream 55.6 KB
pgsql-v9.4-custom-scan-apis.v1.patch application/octet-stream 100.9 KB