Re: FDW for PostgreSQL

From: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
To: Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FDW for PostgreSQL
Date: 2012-11-28 11:03:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2012/11/28 Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>:

> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 5:24 AM, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp> wrote:
>>
>> I checked the v4 patch, and I have nothing to comment anymore.
>>
>> So, could you update the remaining EXPLAIN with VERBOSE option
>> stuff?
>>

> Thanks for the review. Here is updated patch.

I checked the patch. The new VERBOSE option of EXPLAIN statement seems to me
working fine. I think it is time to hand over this patch to committer.

It is not a matter to be solved, but just my preference.

postgres=# EXPLAIN(VERBOSE) SELECT * FROM ftbl WHERE a > 0 AND b like '%a%';
QUERY PLAN
Foreign Scan on public.ftbl (cost=100.00..100.01 rows=1 width=36)
Output: a, b
Filter: (ftbl.b ~~ '%a%'::text)
Remote SQL: SELECT a, b FROM public.tbl WHERE ((a OPERATOR(pg_catalog.>) 0))
(4 rows)

postgres=# EXPLAIN SELECT * FROM ftbl WHERE a > 0 AND b like '%a%';
QUERY PLAN
Foreign Scan on ftbl (cost=100.00..100.01 rows=1 width=36)
Filter: (b ~~ '%a%'::text)
(2 rows)

Do you think the qualifier being pushed-down should be explained if VERBOSE
option was not given?

> BTW, we have one more issue around naming of new FDW, and it is discussed in
> another thread.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/9E59E6E7-39C9-4AE9-88D6-BB0098579017@gmail.com

I don't have any strong option about this naming discussion.
As long as it does not conflict with existing name and is not
misleading, I think
it is reasonable. So, "postgre_fdw" is OK for me. "pgsql_fdw" is also welcome.
"posugure_fdw" may make sense only in Japan. "pg_fdw" is a bit misleading.

"postgresql_fdw" might be the best, but do we have some clear advantage
on this name to take an additional effort to solve the conflict with existing
built-in postgresql_fdw_validator() function?
I think, "postgres_fdw" is enough reasonable choice.

Thanks,