Re: [v9.3] Row-Level Security

From: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [v9.3] Row-Level Security
Date: 2012-11-25 14:20:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> However, UPDATE / DELETE support is not perfect right now.
> In case when we try to update / delete a table with inherited
> children and RETURNING clause was added, is loses right
> references to the pseudo columns, even though it works fine
> without inherited children.

The attached patch fixed this known problem.

I oversight that inheritance_planner() fixup Var->varno when
it references a sub-query; even if it originated from regular
table with row-level security policy.

In case when system-column or whole-row of the table with
row-level security policy referenced, rowlevelsec.c adds
relevant target-entries on the sub-query that wraps this
table-reference, and "varattno" of Var node towards system-
columns is adjusted later.
However, we need to treat RETURNING clause in a special way
because its Var node is evaluated at ExecUpdate or ExecDelete,
therefore, its attribute number should indicate raw-table, not
scanned virtual tuple on sub-query.

So, I added a logic to keep Var->varattno when it tries to reference
either system-column or whole-row of the replaced tables due to
row-level security.

Thanks,

2012/11/15 Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>:
> [...]
>> As we had a discussion on the upthread, it can be solved if we restore
>> the user-id associated with the portal to be run, however, a problem is
>> some commands switches user-id inside of the portal.
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2012-07/msg00055.php
>>
>> Is there some good idea to avoid the problem?
>>
>>> It looks suspiciously as if the row-level security mode needs to be
>>> saved and restored in all the same places we call save and restore the
>>> user ID and security context. Is there some reason the
>>> row-level-security-enabled flag shouldn't just become another bit in
>>> the security context? Then we'd get all of this save/restore logic
>>> mostly for free.
>>>
>> It seems to me a good idea, but I didn't find out this.
>>
>>> ATExecSetRowLevelSecurity() calls SetRowLevelSecurity() or
>>> ResetRowLevelSecurity() to update pg_rowlevelsec, but does the
>>> pg_class update itself. I think that all of this logic should be
>>> moved into a single function, or at least functions in the same file,
>>> with the one that only updates pg_rowlevelsec being static and
>>> therefore not able to be called from outside the file. We always need
>>> the pg_class update and the pg_rowlevelsec update to happen together,
>>> so it's not good to have an exposed function that does one of those
>>> updates but not the other. I think the simplest thing is just to move
>>> ATExecSetRowLevelSecurity to pg_rowlevelsec.c and rename it to
>>> SetRowLevelSecurity() and then give it two static helper functions,
>>> say InsertPolicyRow() and DeletePolicyRow().
>>>
>> OK, I'll rework the code.
>>
>>> I think it would be good if Tom could review the query-rewriting parts
>>> of this (viz rowlevelsec.c) as I am not terribly familiar with this
>>> machinery, and of course anything we get wrong here will have security
>>> consequences. At first blush, I'm somewhat concerned about the fact
>>> that we're trying to do this after query rewriting; that seems like it
>>> could break things. I know KaiGai mentioned upthread that the
>>> rewriter won't be rerun if the plan is invalidated, but (1) why is
>>> that OK now? and (2) if it is OK now, then why is it OK to do
>>> rewriting of the RLS qual - only - after rewriting if all of the rest
>>> of the rewriting needs to happen earlier?
>>>
>> I just follow the existing behavior of plan invalidation; that does not
>> re-run the query rewriter. So, if we have no particular reason why
>> we should not run the rewriter again to handle RLS quals, it might
>> be an option to handle RLS as a part of rewriter.
>>
>> At least, here is two problems. 1) System column is problematic
>> when SELECT statement is replaced by sub-query. 2) It makes
>> infinite recursion when a certain table has SELECT INSTEAD
>> rule with a sub-query on the same table.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
>

> --
> KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>

pgsql-v9.3-row-level-security.rw.v7.patch application/octet-stream 136.4 KB