Re: Arithmetic operators for macaddr type

From: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Arithmetic operators for macaddr type
Date: 2011-12-13 05:16:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12 December 2011 15:59, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> 2011/12/12 Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>:
>> I just bumped into a situation where I wanted to do a little macaddr
>> arithmetic in postgres.  I note that the inet type has support for
>> bitwise AND, OR and NOT, as well as subtraction, but macaddr has none
>> of the above.
>
> +1

Here is a patch for $SUBJECT. I merely added support for ~, & and |
operators for the macaddr type. The patch itself is rather trivial,
and includes regression tests and a doc update.

For the documentation, I did think about adding a new table for the
macaddr operators, but in the end decided it would probably be an
overkill. If others think a table would be better, I'm happy to
revise it.

I also considered adding a function which would return the numeric
value of the MAC as a bigint, but figured I might save that for a
separate patch.

Cheers,
BJ

Attachment Content-Type Size
macaddr-bitwise-ops.diff text/x-patch 6.7 KB