Re: [REVIEW] Re: Fix xpath() to return namespace definitions

From: Ali Akbar <the(dot)apaan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [REVIEW] Re: Fix xpath() to return namespace definitions
Date: 2014-11-05 14:50:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 10/6/14 10:24 PM, Ali Akbar wrote:
>> > While reviewing the patch myself, i spotted some formatting problems in
>> > the code. Fixed in this v5 patch.
>> >
>> > Also, this patch uses context patch format (in first versions, because
>> > of the small modification, context patch format obfucates the changes.
>> > After reimplementation this isn't the case anymore)
>>
>> I think the problem this patch is addressing is real, and your approach
>> is sound, but I'd ask you to go back to the xmlCopyNode() version, and
>> try to add a test case for why the second argument = 1 is necessary. I
>> don't see any other problems.
>>

> OK. Because upstream code is fixed in current version, i'll revert to the
> previous version. Test case added to regression test. With =1 argument, the
> result is correct:
> <local:piece xmlns:local=\"http://127.0.0.1\" xmlns=\"http://127.0.0.2\"
> id=\"1\">
> <internal>number one</internal>
> <internal2/>
> </local:piece>
>
> without the argument, the result is not correct, all children will be
> lost. Because of that, the other regression test will fail too because the
> children is not copied:
> *** 584,593 ****
>
> -- Text XPath expressions evaluation
> SELECT xpath('/value', data) FROM xmltest;
> ! xpath
> ! ----------------------
> ! {<value>one</value>}
> ! {<value>two</value>}
> (2 rows)
>
> SELECT xpath(NULL, NULL) IS NULL FROM xmltest;
> --- 584,593 ----
>
> -- Text XPath expressions evaluation
> SELECT xpath('/value', data) FROM xmltest;
> ! xpath
> ! ------------
> ! {<value/>}
> ! {<value/>}
> (2 rows)
>
> SELECT xpath(NULL, NULL) IS NULL FROM xmltest;
> ***************
> ... <cut>
>
> updated patch attached.

I noticed somewhat big performance regression if the xml is large (i use
PRODML Product Volume sample from energistics.org):
* Without patch (tested 3 times):
select unnest(xpath('//a:flow', x, ARRAY[['a','
http://www.prodml.org/schemas/1series']])) from u;

unnest
<flow>
+
<kind>gas
lift</kind> +
Time: 84,012 ms
Time: 85,683 ms
Time: 88,766 ms

* With latest v6 patch (notice the correct result with namespace
definition):

select unnest(xpath('//a:flow', x, ARRAY[['a','
http://www.prodml.org/schemas/1series']])) from u;

unnest
<flow xmlns="http://www.prodml.org/schemas/1series">
+
Time: 108,912 ms
Time: 108,267 ms
Time: 114,848 ms

It's 23% performance regression.

* Just curious, i'm also testing v5 patch performance (notice the namespace
in the result):
select unnest(xpath('//a:flow', x, ARRAY[['a','
http://www.prodml.org/schemas/1series']])) from u;

unnest
<flow xmlns="http://www.prodml.org/schemas/1series">
+
<kind>gas
lift</kind> +
Time: 92,552 ms
Time: 97,440 ms
Time: 99,309 ms

The regression is only 13%. I know the xmlCopyNode() version (v6 patch) is
much more cleaner than v5patch, should we consider the performance benefit?

Anyway, thanks for the review! :)

Ali Akbar