Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source
Date: 2014-07-15 12:15:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> From: "Amit Kapila" <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
>
>> I think it's bit late for this patch for 9.4, you might want to move it to
>> next CF.
>

> Thanks, I've moved it. It's a regret that this very small patch wasn't put
> in 9.4.

i took a look at the latest version of this patch, since it's marked
as ready for committer. A few comments:

Is there a reason for there still being changes in guc.c, pgevent.c
etc? Shouldn't it all be confined to pg_ctl now? That's my
understanding from the thread that that's the only part we care about.

More importantly, isn't it wrong to claim it will only be used for
register and unregister? If we get an early failure in start, for
example, there are numerous codepaths that will end up calling
write_stderr(), which will use the eventlog when running as a service.
Shouldn't the "-e" parameter be moved under "common options"?

I also think we should have the documentation specifically note that
regular postgres output still goes to whatever the backend is
configured to do. (and of course, any failure within the backend
*before* we have parsed the config file for example will still go to
the default source, and not the pg_ctl source - so we need to make it
really clear that this is *only* for output from pg_ctl).

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/