Re: TABLESAMPLE patch

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Subject: Re: TABLESAMPLE patch
Date: 2015-01-06 07:51:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 5:21 AM, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Attached is v3 which besides the fixes mentioned above also includes changes
> discussed with Tomas (except the CREATE/DROP TABLESAMPLE METHOD), fixes for
> crash with FETCH FIRST and is rebased against current master.
This patch needs a rebase, there is a small conflict in parallel_schedule.

Structurally speaking, I think that the tsm methods should be added in
src/backend/utils and not src/backend/access which is more high-level
as tsm_bernoulli.c and tsm_system.c contain only a set of new
procedure functions. Having a single header file tsm.h would be also a
good thing.

Regarding the naming, is "tsm" (table sample method) really appealing?
Wouldn't it be better to use simply tablesample_* for the file names
and the method names?

This is a large patch... Wouldn't sampling.[c|h] extracted from
ANALYZE live better as a refactoring patch? This would limit a bit bug
occurrences on the main patch.
--
Michael