Re: Extending MSVC scripts to support --with-extra-version

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Asif Naeem <anaeem(dot)it(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Extending MSVC scripts to support --with-extra-version
Date: 2014-06-27 00:00:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Asif Naeem <anaeem(dot)it(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I have spent some time reviewing the code. It applies well and PG master
> branch build fine with setting extraver or keep it undefined.

Thanks for reviewing that.

> I have observed the following output applying the patch i.e.

It seems that extraver information only appears when version function is
> being used. If we use -V (--version) with pg utilities/binaries, it does
> not include additional provided information.

You are right. The first version of this patch updates PG_VERSION_STR but
not PG_VERSION, which is the string used for all the binaries to report the
version.

> Can you please guide how can I perform similar functionality via
> configure script (that can be used on Unix like OS/MinGW) or It is intended
> for Window specific requirement ?. Thanks.

Sure, you can do the equivalent with plain configure like that:
./configure --with-extra-version="-foo" --prefix=/to/path/
And here is the output that I get with such options on OSX for example:
$ psql -c 'select substring(version(), 1, 52)'
substring
PostgreSQL 9.5devel-foo on x86_64-apple-darwin13.2.0
(1 row)
$ initdb --version
initdb (PostgreSQL) 9.5devel-foo

With the new patch attached, the following output is generated for an MSVC
build:
$ psql -c 'select version()'
version
PostgreSQL 9.5devel-foo, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit
(1 row)
$ initdb --version
initdb (PostgreSQL) 9.5devel-foo

Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
20140627_msvc_extra_version_v2.patch text/x-patch 3.7 KB