Re: [DOCS] BUG #11661: CASE ELSE is evaluated although condition is true

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
Cc: michael(at)aplaypowered(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] BUG #11661: CASE ELSE is evaluated although condition is true
Date: 2014-11-11 07:14:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-docs

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org> wrote:
> Our documentation should be clearer about the fact that all aggregates
> are evaluated strictly before their surrounding SELECT expressions,
> the attached documentation patch adds a note about this to the
> "general processing of SELECT" explanation.

This patch does not compile properly as a </sect2> is missing, and I
think that you actually want to add this sect2 block at the bottom the
sect1 block for conditional functions. "implementation" is as well a
bit too general to name such a section, something like
"functions-conditional-implementation" would be better. Also, I am a
bit dubious about adding a mention aggregate functions and their
elements being evaluated in a paragraph for GROUP BY and HAVING
clause. All together only mentioning that in the conditional function
block sound enough. All those things grouped together result in the
attached. Marti, feel free to comment and correct what you think is
wrong :)
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
20141111_conditional_funcs_doc.patch binary/octet-stream 1003 bytes