Re: install libpq.dll in bin directory on Windows / Cygwin

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: install libpq.dll in bin directory on Windows / Cygwin
Date: 2014-12-24 06:08:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Michael Paquier
> Peter, could it be possible to merge this patch with its MSVC portion
> for simplicity? I think that it would more readable to do all the
> changes at the same time once and for all. Also, that's still a bug,
> so are we still considering a backpatch? I wouldn't mind putting some
> time into a patch to get that fixed..

Attached are two patches, one for MinGW/cygwin, a slightly modified
version from Peter and the second implementing the same thing but for
the MSVC scripts. The method for MSVC is similar to what is done in
Peter's patch: roughly it checks if SO_MAJOR_VERSION is present in the
Makefile of a given library, the path of Makefile is found by looking
at the location of the .rc in the vcproj file (could be better but I
could not come up with a better method). TBH, it would be good to be
completely consistent in the way we build things on Windows, and we
may as well consider a backpatch to fix this long-standing bug. The
MSVC patch removes of course the hack copying libpq.dll from lib/ to
bin/.

I mentioned the fix for MSVC scripts as well here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqQiUePzPhd3Mmk+Q7_cQQRKK_V1FVxKNyMRi660Z4dPzg@mail.gmail.com
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Install-shared-libraries-in-bin-and-lib-with-MinGW-c.patch application/x-patch 2.7 KB
0002-Install-shared-libraries-in-bin-and-lib-with-MSVC.patch application/x-patch 2.8 KB