Re: pg_stat_statements: calls under-estimation propagation

From: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Farina <drfarina(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_statements: calls under-estimation propagation
Date: 2012-12-30 06:31:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> On 30 December 2012 02:45, Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
>>> As I recall, the gist of this objection had to do with a false sense
>>> of stability of the hash value, and the desire to enforce the ability
>>> to alter it. Here's an option: xor the hash value with the
>>> 'statistics session id', so it's *known* to be unstable between
>>> sessions. That gets you continuity in the common case and sound
>>> deprecation in the less-common cases (crashes, format upgrades, stat
>>> resetting).
>>
>> Hmm. I like the idea, but a concern there would be that you'd
>> introduce additional scope for collisions in the third-party utility
>> building time-series data from snapshots. I currently put the
>> probability of a collision within pg_stat_statements as 1% in the
>> event of a pg_stat_statements.max of 10,000.
>
> We can use a longer session key and duplicate the queryid (effectively
> padding) a couple of times to complete the XOR. I think that makes
> the cases of collisions introduced by this astronomically low, as an
> increase over the base collision rate.

A version implementing that is attached, except I generate an
additional 64-bit session not exposed to the client to prevent even
casual de-leaking of the session state. That may seem absurd, until
someone writes a tool that de-xors things and relies on it and then
nobody feels inclined to break it. It also keeps the public session
number short.

I also opted to save the underestimate since I'm adding a handful of
fixed width fields to the file format anyway.

--
fdr

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_stat_statements-identification-v3.patch.gz application/x-gzip 6.5 KB