Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date: 2013-09-28 07:05:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
>>> I think you're getting way too hung up on the fact that the proposed
>>> auto.conf will be stored as a flat file. From your comments upthread,
>>> I gather that you'd be rejoicing if it were a table.
>
>> I'd be happy if it was a table which managed an *independent* set of
>> parameters from those used to bootstrap the system, but no one seems to
>> like breaking up the options between "things that can be sanely modified
>> without other OS changes" and "things which require OS support".
>
> I agree with Robert's comments upthread that if the new facility can't do
> everything that can be done today by editing postgresql.conf, it's not
> going to be adequate. So I'm not in favor of having two sets of
> parameters. It's also not clear to me that we can make a reliable
> distinction between parameters that can prevent a server restart vs those
> that can't; or at least, the set of the latter will be much smaller than
> one could wish.

Now as we have an agreement, I had updated patch for below left issues:
1. ALTER SYSTEM SET should be constrained to only set known GUCs, this
point has been discussed on another mail thread
(http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/14857.1378523977@sss.pgh.pa.us)
In function AlterSystemSetConfigFile(), when we try to get the
record using find_option(), pass second parameter as false which will
make sure
if the parameter doesn't exist it will return NULL.
2. Some indentation issues.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

alter_system_v8.patch application/octet-stream 36.0 KB