Re: FW: REVIEW: Allow formatting in log_line_prefix

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: "David Rowley *EXTERN*" <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FW: REVIEW: Allow formatting in log_line_prefix
Date: 2013-09-20 19:18:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 3:15 AM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at> wrote:
> David Rowley wrote:
>> I moved the source around and I've patched against it again. New patch attached.
>
> Thank you, marked as ready for committer.

/*
+ * helper function for processing the format string in
+ * log_line_prefix()
+ * This function returns NULL if it finds something which
+ * it deems invalid for the log_line_prefix string.
+ */

Comments should be formatted as a single paragraph. If you want
multiple paragraphs, you need to include a line that's blank except
for the leading " *".

+static const char
+*process_log_prefix_padding(const char *p, int *ppadding)

The asterisk should be on the previous line, separated from "char" by a space.

+ appendStringInfo(buf, "%*ld", padding,
log_line_number);

Is %* supported by all versions of printf() on every platform we support?

Earlier there was some discussion of performance. Was that tested?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company