Re: Avoid index rebuilds for no-rewrite ALTER TABLE ALTER TYPE

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Avoid index rebuilds for no-rewrite ALTER TABLE ALTER TYPE
Date: 2011-07-07 18:44:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Noah Misch <noah(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Drat; fixed in this version.  My local branches contain a large test battery
>> that I filter out of the diff before posting.  This time, that filter also
>> removed an essential part of the patch.
>
> OK, I'm pretty happy with this version, with the following minor caveats:
>
> 1. I still think the documentation changes could use some
> word-smithing.  If I end up being the one who commits this, I'll take
> a look at that as part of the commit.
>
> 2. I think it would be helpful to add a comment explaining why
> CheckIndexCompatible() is calling

Woops, sorry. Hit send too soon.

...why CheckIndexCompatible() is calling ComputeIndexAttrs().

Rather than committing this immediately, I'm going to mark this "Ready
for Committer", just in case Tom or someone else wants to look this
over and weigh in.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company