Re: json generation enhancements

From: Steve Singer <steve(at)ssinger(dot)info>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: json generation enhancements
Date: 2013-02-24 06:09:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13-01-11 11:03 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 01/11/2013 11:00 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>
>> I have not had anyone follow up on this, so I have added docs and
>> will add this to the commitfest.
>>
>> Recap:
>>
>> This adds the following:
>>
>> json_agg(anyrecord) -> json
>> to_json(any) -> json
>> hstore_to_json(hstore) -> json (also used as a cast)
>> hstore_to_json_loose(hstore) -> json
>>
>> Also, in json generation, if any non-builtin type has a cast to json,
>> that function is used instead of the type's output function.
>>

> This time with a patch.

Here is a review of this patch.,

Overview
---------------------
This patch adds a set of functions to convert types to json. Specifically

* An aggregate that take the elements and builds up a json array.
* Conversions from an hstore to json

For non-builtin types the text conversion is used unless a cast has
specifically been defined from the type to json.

There was some discussion last year on this patch that raised three issues

a) Robert was concerned that if someone added a cast from a non-core
type like citext to json that it would change the behaviour of this
function. No one else offered an opinion on this at the time. I don't
see this as a problem, if I add a cast between citext (or any other
non-core datatype) to json I would expect it to effect how that datatype
is generated as a json object in any functions that generate json. I
don't see why this would be surprising behaviour. If I add a cast
between my datatype and json to generate a json representation that
differs from the textout representation then I would expect that
representation to be used in the json_agg function as well.

b) There was some talk in the json bikeshedding thread that json_agg()
should be renamed to collect_json() but more people preferred json_agg().

c) Should an aggregate of an empty result produce NULL or an empty json
element. Most people who commented on the thread seemed to feel that
NULL is preferred because it is consistent with other aggregates

I feel that the functionality of this patch is fine.

Testing
-------------------

When I try running the regression tests with this patch I get:
creating template1 database in
/usr/local/src/postgresql/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/base/1 ...
FATAL: could not create unique index "pg_proc_oid_index"
DETAIL: Key (oid)=(3171) is duplicated.
child process exited with exit code 1

oid 3170, 3171 and 3172 appears to be used by lo_tell64 and lo_lseek64

If I fix those up the regression tests pass.

I tried using the new functions in a few different ways and everything
worked as expected.

Code Review
-----------
in contrib/hstore/hstore_io.c
+ /* not an int - try a double */
+ double doubleres =
strtod(src->data,&endptr);
+ if (*endptr == '\0')
+ is_number = true;
+ else if (false)
+ {
+ /* shut the compiler up
about unused variables */
+ longres = (long) doubleres;
+ longres = longres / 2;

I dislike that we have to do this to avoid compiler warnings. I am also
worried the some other compiler might decide that the else if (false) is
worthy of a warning. Does anyone have cleaner way of getting rid of
the warning we get if we don't store the strtol/strtod result?

Should we do something like:

(void) ( strtol(src->data,&endptr,10)+1);

Other than that I don't see any issues.

Steve