Re: pg_execute_from_file, patch v10

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_execute_from_file, patch v10
Date: 2010-12-14 01:53:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
> Do you want another patch version from me?

I'm looking at this patch and I'm confused. Why do we need this at
all? pg_read_binary_file() seems like it might be useful to somebody,
but I don't see what it has to do with extensions. And the rest of
this doesn't appear to provide any new functionality. The extension
mechanism hardly needs SQL-callable functions.

As a side note, this comment almost makes sense, but not quite:

+ /* Abuse knowledge that we're bytea and text are both varlena */

...but my real question is why any of this is necessary at all and
what it has to do with extensions.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company