Re: proposal: tsearch dictionary initialization hook

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: proposal: tsearch dictionary initialization hook
Date: 2010-09-30 09:36:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> 2010/9/7 Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>:
>>> Hm, what is aim of this hook? It looks like a wrapper of dictionary init
>>> method.
>>
>> If I use a mmap for shared dictionary, then I have to prealloc and
>> maybe preread dictionary - it can be done in external module. But I
>> have to join preloaded dictionary to requested dictionary. This hook
>> allows this relation - and it's general - I don't need any special
>> support in ispell dictionary.
>
> Review:
>
> 1. Is this really necessary?  It seems that you're inserting a hook
> here when you could just as well change tmplinit to point to whatever
> function you want to call, which wouldn't require a code change.

The a creating of new hacked template is second option - I didn't find
it. It good for hacking and probably I'll use it because I have not a
time to work on this problem. On second hand - it is less on more
little bit dark hack - you have to modify system tables. Using a hook
is more transparent - you can or not just load a module, that uses a
hook.

> 2. Our standard criteria for the inclusion of a hook is some sample
> code that demonstrates how it can be usefully used.  I think you need
> to provide that before we can consider this further.

yes - I understand, but I have not time to work on this subject now,
so It can be moved to rejected patches queue. Some my ideas depends on
proposed (different people) shared memory control, but I don't see any
move on this, so there isn't reason why implement a hook or some
modules uses this hook now.

Regards

Pavel Stehule